Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sometimes we are THAT couple

I have a confession. It will taint your view of me, if you had one, forever. I like to watch people, especially when I am on a date with my husband. But wait, it gets worse.

Then I like to make up stories about them too.

For instance, if I'm at Walmart on a date with my hubby- ( yes, my husband and I tend to call a trip to the grocery store "date night")  and a husband and wife are shopping together, and he is being all sweet and she is looking at him like he's a JERK, I will quickly go to the next isle- turn to Isaac and began explaining everything.

"Did you see the couple on the cereal isle?"

He doesn't even look up.... he just pretends to understand

"Ummm yea, that lady and that guy right?"

Good enough.

"Yes. They were fighting, and he was acting all sweet, but you know what I think?"

Silence- cause I'm not really asking..

" I think he was a big time jerk, and instead of changing, he's just kissing up. But she has probably seen that a few times. But you know what's sad about all of that?"

"Hmmm..." he begins- he is about to say something awful and truthful like,

 "Yeah, they are a lot like us"

But I'm in denial and I'm trying to stroke my ego.

"Well, what's awful and sad about it  is that it MAKES HER look like the bad guy, when he is actually the REAL JERK!"

OH man. I am so glad I'm not them.

At least not this second.

By now my husband just nods. Laughs. The end. I feel better.

That is until, it's my turn to be "THAT" couple, and I am fully aware of it.

And it all started at the movie theater. We went to a $2 movie with another couple. The movie was very clean, which is good, and very stupid- which is funny.

So we left the theater laughing hysterically at all the dumb parts that were suppose to be serious.

Then we walk out to the parking lot, and  I notice a streak down the backside of my husbands pants.

"What is THAT?"

He had sat on some nasty candy that didn't look like candy.

We started laughing so hard that all four of us started crying. And then it hit. I stopped.

"I feel super tired..." I said. And Boom! Narcolepsy.  I was asleep, in the parking lot. Head down, standing up.
But they kept laughing about the pants, and the movie. And I can hear them. The more I hear, the more I laugh inside, the deeper my narcolepsy goes. Now, I am completely bent over, my arms are hanging, and my body is sound asleep.

My husband bends over to help me. He is still laughing with everyone else. I can hear people stopping and looking at us. And the thought crosses my mind, "We are THAT couple."

I can hear the story now.

A couple is walking through the parking lot to the movie theater.

The wife turns to her husband.

"Oh my gosh! Did you see THAT couple?"

"Yeah, the one that's falling over and drunk?"

"Yes! Do you think they got drunk before or after the movie?"

"I don't know. But they must be pretty wasted. She's all  slumped over. And then her husband is just standing there laughing, BUT he's so wasted that he crapped his pants, and he doesn't' even know it!"

Then his wife will look at him and say, "We have our problems, but I am so glad we are not THAT couple. I just hope they don't have kids."

And then they will go on their merry little way with their impressions and stories.

And little do they know how impossible it would be to guess the real story.

But from this experience, I have learned one absolute truth.......

God has an incredible sense of humor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment